What is Promote the Vote?
Promote the Vote (PTV) is the Secretary of State Office’s comprehensive K-12 voter education program. This year’s “MY vote is MY voice” program encourages students to use their voice at the ballot box by voting in the mock election and participating in art and essay contests. Mississippi Public Broadcasting’s (MPB) Education arm is partnering with the Agency to encourage school, teacher, and student participation.
Who can participate?
The program is open to all teachers and students in grades K-12. We encourage participation by public, private, and parochial schools as well as home school associations.
how do i get started?
Sign up on the registration page (link below) to access online materials including a teacher guide with suggested ideas on how run a mock election in the classroom, elected officials worksheets, and contest entry forms. An email will be sent out to the email address registered under containing a password in order to access the site once materials are uploaded.
What is included in this year's program?
Statewide mock election for Governor:
- The ballot will be posted online beginning October 1.
- Voting will close October 25
- MPB’s “Best Mock Election Precinct” Contest for teachers will also be conducted during the mock election. Teachers must post two mock election precinct photos on Facebook and/or Instagram and tag @MPBOnline.
Student art and essay contests:
- Art (K-12th Grade): “Proud to be a Mississippian”—entrants are asked to express their patriotism and creativity by designing artwork depicting civic responsibility and voter participation. Students should create an art piece of history, community, industry, people, nature, or any positive idea the student has on being a proud Mississippian
- Essay (6th-12th Grade): “If I Were Elected Governor, I Would…”—entrants are asked to identify what they consider to be one of the top issues facing our State in the next four years and write an essay describing the problem or issue and outline a proposal for how they would tackle the issue as Governor, working with other elected officials
Entries for both contests are due December 6, 2019. Winners will be invited to the Capitol in February 2020 for an awards ceremony.
Does it cost anything to participate?
Promote the Vote is a free program offered to all schools and teachers in the State of Mississippi by the State. All materials will be available for download online.
For specific questions, you can reach our staff by calling (601)359-6344 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.