Mr. Barry Jones
Wise Carter Chile & Caraway, P.A.
Broadmoor Baptist Church
The Nonprofit Laws Study Group was formed in the summer of 2010 to review Mississippi's laws regarding nonprofit organizations. The Study Group held four meetings and several subgroup (Definition, Amendments and Administrative Items) meetings. Copies of the meeting agendas and minutes are set forth below. The Nonprofit Corporation Laws Study Group recommended the following amendments to the Mississippi Nonprofit Corporation Act:
- Add definition of a "Nonprofit Corporation"
- Revise definition of "distribution"
- Require nonprofit corporations to state their activity
- Add an automatic liability shield from personal liability
- Add an optional liability shield nonprofit corporations
- Require charitable nonprofits to have at least three directors
- Incorporate and implement electronic technology concepts in communications among nonprofit corporations, their members and in membership meetings
- Authorize the Secretary of State to contact certain missing nonprofit corporations by publication in the county of their last known location
Legislation recommended by the Nonprofit Laws Study Group was signed by Governor Barbour on March 23, 2011. Click here to view a copy of Senate Bill 2444.
Nonprofit Laws Study Group Meeting #1 (June 29, 2010)
Nonprofit Laws Study Group Meeting #2 (July 14, 2010)
Nonprofit Laws Study Group Meeting #3 (September 15, 2010)
Nonprofit Laws Study Group Meeting #4(September 30, 2010)