476 A BICENTENNIAL HISTORY OF MISSISSIPPI PHOTO COURTESY OF THE SECRETARY OF STATE’S OFFICE GOVERNOR’S MANSION The Mississippi governor’s mansion is the second oldest continually occupied governor’s residence in the United States. In 1842, the first residents moved in and in 1975, the building was designated a National Historic Landmark. Construction of the governor’s mansion began in 1839. Governor Tilghman Mayfield Tucker and his family were the first to move into the building in January 1842. Final construction costs totaled approximately $50,000.